Human Rights Issues in Eurasia / Правовые Вопросы В Регионах Евразии

Russia’s Crime of the Century / Stop Untouchables Justice For Magnitsky

Posted by Info on 26/04/2011

VIDEO here 14 minutes

The case of Sergei Magnitsky who was imprisoned, tortured, and murdered after his efforts to shed light on a massive governmental fraud by Interior Ministry officials stealing subsidiaries of company, the Hermitage Fund, and the $230 million of taxes they had paid — has illuminated the cruelty and criminality of Russian legal enforcement.
It was the largest tax refund in Russian history — and it was granted in one day by Olga Stepanova, head of Moscow’s Tax Office 28, and her colleague in Moscow Tax Office 25, Elena Khimina. The money was then wired to a small Russian bank, Universal Savings Bank, owned by another convicted criminal, Dmitry Kluyev. The money then left Russia ….
And new evidence released last week on YouTube as part of the broad campaign seeking justice for Sergei, goes even further — exposing the blatant theft, impunity, and ill-gotten gains of senior Russian tax officials who were complicit in the fraud and subsequent murder Serghei.

The very bureaucrats — government tax officials in Moscow Tax Office 28 — exposed by Sergei three years ago of perpetrating the massive fraud stashed millions of dollars in overseas bank accounts, created offshore companies, and purchased luxury villas in Dubai, Montenegro, and Moscow.

Sergei — got involved. He started investigating the scheme and, after a few weeks, pieced the story together through court records, registration files, and bank statements. He prepared a number of very detailed criminal complaints against the police officers and perpetrators involved in the massive fraud.
Then he went into detention as a healthy 36-year-old man — had lost 40 pounds. He developed pancreatitis … In July 2009, Sergei was moved to Butyrka, a maximum-security facility that had no medical facilities. ..Sergei remained defiant and continued to write complaints about his innocence and the pressure applied to him. … He was transferred to the intensive-care wing of Matrosskaya Tishina detention center, but instead of receiving medical attention, he was put in a straitjacket, chained to a bed, and left by himself in an isolation cell for one hour and 18 minutes while doctors waited right outside the door until they were certain he was dead.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: